Tech Art Week 03: Lighting in UE4

For this assignment, we had to light a provided scene in UE4. Applying what we learned in class about lights, Post process volumes, and reflections spheres. Going into this assignment I was pretty nervousness, starting in a black unlit scene can be a daunting task. However I found that I was able to learn a lot in a very short time by finishing this task. I found talking to my fellow classmates and asking questions about their workflows really gave me a lot of incite on lighting approaches. 

(Final Lit Scenes)

 Library



Hallway



Bedroom


(Detailed Lighting View with GI)

Here are some more breakdown shots of the scene with only the lighting displayed. As I mentioned above looking at a finished scene like this can be pretty daunting to look at, but just remember its like starting a new drawing on a black sheet of paper. Just start making light sketches (or in this case soft area lights) then slowly work your way towards the brighter light points and shadows.